Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Land of the Free and home of the Brave

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

As children we said these words, one hand across our heart, and knew what the words meant as we recited them. Today many children have heard of the Pledge of Allegiance but do not know all the words. Many also do not know the words to our National Anthem. In this day and age we are slowly becoming a country whose values are one by one being lost.

Once upon a time sounds like you are starting a fairytale, unfortunately this once upon a time refers to a time when morals were high and people taught their children faith, values, respect, and humbleness. Now  I wont say my childhood was perfect BUT I will say it is far better than those that are growing up now. I had a family that cared enough to teach me how to speak to my elders with the respect and dignity they deserved. They thought me that to have enough humbleness to know that you are only on this earth to contribute to the bettering of this world. It is not what the world can do for you but what you can give the world. These traits are lost on most young people today. Just this past weekend I listen to a 13 year old girl talk back to her mother in such a way that if I had ever even thought of saying what she said, I would have woke up in next week.

I think that we should really take a step back and look at ourselves and what we are doing to our young people. The values that founded are country are not so bad. ( I mean they got us through the last couple of hundred years or so but hey ) Respect your elders. Give back more than you receive. Stand up for your fellow man. God and Country come first everything else is second. And Power by the People for the People.

Maybe instead of taking things out of our education system we should add a few things back. Like the pledge of allegiance. The memorizing of the Declaration of Independence. And that it is NOT ok to bully. ( Paddling is also ok in my book. We had paddles when I was growing up and I turned out just fine. Learned a few lessons the hard way but I learned them after one try. ) If we would just go back about 15 years to the way things were then and start raising our children that way maybe this country would have a chance still. Otherwise I am terribly afraid we are heading down an awfully dark direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment